Sister Bay Cafe Pioneer Bread Pudding
The Sister Bay Cafe in Sister Bay, Door County, Wisconsin, is famous for this
- 2 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch pieces), crusts removed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- Bread Pudding: Place bread cubes in a greased 1-quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt over low heat just until butter melts.
- In a bowl, beat eggs; whisk in warm milk mixture.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Pour over bread.
- Place baking dish in a shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minute or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge
comes out clean.
- Lemon Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan.
- Stir in water and lemon peel; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and food coloring.
- Serve warm or cold with the pudding.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield:s 4 to 6 servings
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes