Chocolate-Cranberry Holiday Bars
A sweet, cranberry cream cheese topping elevates these classic brownies to a
worthy holiday treat.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (packed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup
mini semisweet chocolate chips
Cranberry Cream Topping
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups powdered
- 1 cup finely-chopped dried cranberries
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
tablespoons whipping cream or more to achieve desired consistency
- Bars: Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan or in the microwave,
stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- On a paper plate, whisk together flour and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with electric beaters, beat the eggs until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in brown sugar.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until blended.
- Blend in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 325 degrees F oven for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cranberry Cream Topping: Cream the butter and cream cheese together in a bowl
until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in vanilla and powdered sugar; mix in cranberries.
- Spread mixture over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until set.
- Chocolate Drizzle: Melt the chocolate chips and cream over low heat or in the
- Cool slightly.
- Dip a fork into the mixture and drizzle over the cranberry layer.
- Chill until firm. Cut into 2 x 2-inch squares.
Yield: 2 dozen bars
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.