Chocolate Mint Parfait Bars
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate devil's food cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter,
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/3 cup butter and egg. Beat at low speed until
crumbly. Press evenly in bottom of greased pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatine in boiling water; cool slightly. Add 2 cups
of the confectioners' sugar; blend well. Add 1/2 cup butter, shortening, peppermint
extract and food color. Beat 1 minute at medium speed or until smooth and creamy.
Blend in remaining 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Spread filling evenly over
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt frosting Ingredients chocolate chips and
3 teaspoons butter. Stir constantly until well blended.
- Spoon frosting evenly over filling, carefully spreading to cover.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into bars. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.
- Store any remaining bars in refrigerator.
Yield: 48 bars
Source: 1982 Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest