Fennel Pistachio Cookies
Lemon zest is the perfect complement to the pistachio, fennel and almond flavors in these delicious and unusual cookies.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or almond extract
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add
sugar; mix well.
- Add egg; beat well.
- Add amaretto, lemon zest and fennel seeds; mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter
mixture; beat well.
- Stir in pistachio nuts (dough will be stiff).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
If desired, flatten balls slightly and sprinkle with additional chopped pistachios.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.