Festive Eggnog Peppermint Twists
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup prepared dairy eggnog
- 1 teaspoon
pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon red paste food coloring*
- 1/4 teaspoon green paste food
- 1 tube prepared white decorator frosting
* You may use traditional liquid food coloring, but it will require a larger quantity
to achieve the same vibrant colors.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until well blended.
- Beat in egg, eggnog, vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Beat in enough flour to make a stiff dough. You may have to finish beating by
hand if you are not using a heavy duty mixer.
- Divide dough in half. Color half with red coloring and half with green by mixing
in coloring pastes. Cover portions and refrigerate until easy to handle, at least
- Lightly flour a working surface and shape each dough portion into a 12-inch log.
Cut each log into 24 portions (each 1/2-inch long). With your palms, roll each portion
into a 6-inch long rope. Place a red and green rope side-by-side. Twist one rope
over the other, gently pressing the ends together, into either a wreath shape or
a candy cane shape.
- Repeat with remaining red and green ropes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets about two inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheets for one minute.
- Carefully transfer to wire racks and cool.
- Using a decorator tip, pipe the tube frosting to form bows on the wreaths and
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.