Bring a tempting aroma and goodness into your kitchen with hard-to-pass classic
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water or milk
- 3 1/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Currants or assorted candies, if desired
- Colored sugar or additional
sugar, if desired
- Beat granulated sugar, butter and molasses in large bowl with electric mixer
on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well mixed.
- Beat in egg and water until blended.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cardamom and cloves.
- Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll 1/3 of dough at a time on floured surface to
1/8 inch thickness. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut
with floured 2 1/2-inch gingerbread boy or girl cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart
on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with currants or candies.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 6 to 7 minutes or until set.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool.
Yield: 10 dozen cookies
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) No changes.
Special Touch: "Stitch" the edges of these
charming cookies with white candy sprinkles found where cake and cookie decorating
supplies are sold.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 40 (Calories from Fat 20 ); Total
Fat 2 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 40 mg; Total Carbohydrate
6 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 0g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.