Gingerbread Men 2
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 cup
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup powdered
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and
cloves. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Scrape bowl, add egg and molasses,
and beat until smooth. Scrape down bowl and add reserved flour mixture. Blend on
low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Separate dough into 3 balls and flatten into disks. Place each disk in a re-closable
plastic bag and remove excess air.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Flour a gingerbread man cookie cutter and cut out dough with cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet about 1/2-inch apart. Gather scraps and re-roll
dough until all is used.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes in 350 degrees F preheated oven.
- Transfer to a flat surface and cool.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Spoon icing into a pastry bag with a small round tip and decorate cookies as
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.