Golden State Dates
Even before dates became a favorite holiday food they were widely
used as a sweetener in baked goods. Here sweet dates and salty nuts
combine with gooey chocolate and chewy oatmeal for a happy holiday
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick or old fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 3/4 cup dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup salted pistachios
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks or morsels
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat together butter, brown sugar and
1/2 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and almond extract; mix to combine.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to
butter mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in oats until combined.
- Add dates, pistachios and chocolate; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in a shallow bowl
containing 1 cup sugar.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on pan for one minute or until set; transfer to
wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.