Pomegranate-Honey Roasted Game Hens
- 2/3 cup pomegranate juice*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 game hens, split in half
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 teaspoons chopped, roasted pistachio nuts, for garnish
- Mix first 7 ingredients; pour over hens. Marinate, covered,
overnight or at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
- Drain hens, reserving marinade. Simmer marinade, covered for 10 minutes; reserve.
- Season hens with salt and pepper. Bake
at 450 degrees F, basting frequently with reserved marinade,
until hens are just firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let rest covered with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- Brush each half with remaining honey. Garnish with pomegranate
seeds and chopped pistachios.
* To make 1 cup pomegranate juice, put 1 1/2 to 2 cups seeds
in a blender; blend until liquefied. Pour mixture through a
cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve.
Source: Courtesy Pomegranate Council