Holiday Cookie Surprises
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Approximately 48 assorted bite-size candies
- Colored sugar or candy sprinkles
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat well. Add combined flour, oats and salt; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Press desired candy piece into center of each ball; shape dough around candy so it is completely hidden.
- Roll cookies in colored sugar or candy sprinkles until evenly coated.
- Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until set and bottoms are light golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
For gift giving: Pack in holiday cookie tins or make cookie bundles. To make bundles, arrange a few cookies in the center of a square of food-safe wrap. Form into a bundle and tie closed at top with ribbon.
Variation: For powdered sugar coated cookies, bake uncoated cookies as directed above. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Place about 3/4 cup powdered sugar in plastic bag. Gently shake 3 to 4 cookies in powdered sugar until coated. Repeat with remaining cookies. Sift remaining powdered sugar over cookies. Cool completely.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: