Ensalada de Noche Buena
(Christmas Eve Salad)
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 medium oranges, pared and sectioned
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can sliced beets, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained (reserve juice)
- 1/2 jicama, pared and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds or sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon aniseed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place oranges, bananas, beets, pineapple and jicama in bowl.
- Mix reserved beet liquid, pineapple juice, the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons sugar and the salt; pour over fruit.
- Let stand 10 minutes; drain.
- Arrange fruit on shredded lettuce. Garnish with lime, peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Mix aniseed and 1 tablespoon sugar; sprinkle over salad.