New York Pushcart Onion Sauce
- 2 medium onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup water
- In medium skillet, sauté onions in oil over medium heat, stirring until golden
and limp, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in ketchup smoothly.
- Add cinnamon, chili powder and
stir. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered until onions are
tender, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons hot onion sauce over grilled or boiled frankfurters
in a bun.
Yields 1 1/2 cups.