This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
This is a rich orange sauce that is excellent with boned poached chicken breasts,
duck or Rock Cornish game hens. It also makes a lovely Christmas gift, spooned into
a decorative jar.
- 1/3 cup julienne of orange rind
- 1 1/4 cups white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 2 tablespoons currant jelly
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Remove rind (not the peel) from an orange with a potato peeler. Cut into very
thin julienne slivers with a sharp knife.
- Combine 1 cup of the wine, ginger, allspice,
nutmeg and brown sugar in a saucepan. Simmer the orange rind in this liquid for
20 minutes, uncovered.
- Drain and set orange rind aside.
- Caramelize the granulated sugar and vinegar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Add 3/4 cup of the orange juice, lemon juice, orange rind, Grand Marnier and remaining
wine. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add jelly.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup orange juice and add to sauce, stirring
- Add the julienne of orange rind.