This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup vinegar
- Peel tomatoes, then drop 2 or 3 tomatoes at a time into boiling water. Leave
them in the water for a minute, or until the skins begin to split. Remove them to
a bowl until they are cool enough to handle.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, making
sure to catch all the juices. Simmer tomatoes and onion in a heavy saucepan until
tender, about 10 minutes.
- Puree the tomato-onion mixture in a blender or food processor and return to saucepan.
Add spices and vinegar and simmer, uncovered, very slowly, for 1 1/2 hours or until
the mixture is reduced in volume by about a third. Stir frequently.
- Cool and pour into containers.
- Let cool before storing in the refrigerator for up to 4 months
or in the freezer for 9 months.
Makes 48 ounces.