This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
This is a very sweet Southern condiment. It makes a delicious topping for roast
beef, black-eyed peas or butter beans.
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 hot or bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or less)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cornstarch, if needed
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the tomatoes, onion and pepper until onion
and pepper are tender.
- Add amount of sugar preferred. Cook until thick.
Cornstarch may be added to thicken if the sauce does not become thick enough.