- 1 cup walnut pieces, divided
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened margarine
- 1/2 cup flaked
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup of the walnuts for topping; set aside. Finely chop
- Combine flour, brown sugar and margarine until crumbly. Work in finely chopped
nuts and coconut. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup of crumb mixture. Press remainder
firmly on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- For filling: Beat cream cheese with the sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs
and vanilla extract. Spread over crumbs.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread pie filling over cheese layer.
Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture and nuts over top of cherries.
- Return to oven for 18 minutes longer.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Refrigerate for several hours before cutting into 2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.
- Refrigerate leftovers. These tend to be a little soft at room temperature.
Yield: 36 bars
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.