Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Icing
These gingerbread bars, topped with a sweet cream cheese icing, will be a dessert
or tea-time favorite during the holidays.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon McCormick
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2
sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons
McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray
foil with no stick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and
salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until
light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg until well blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture
until well mixed.
- Stir in molasses and water just until blended.
- Spread evenly
in prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in
remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup of
the icing; refrigerate remaining icing.
- Spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each)
of the reserved icing over batter in pan.
- With knife or spatula, swirl icing
through batter to marbleize.
- Bake 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Lift out of pan using foil. Cool completely on wire
- Invert and peel off foil.
- Spread refrigerated icing over bars.
- Cut into
- Store in refrigerator.
Makes 27 (1 bar) servings.
Recipe and photo credit: