Apricot Ginger Biscotti
- 1/3 cup dried apricots (about 2 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger (about 1 ounce)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter a baking sheet and dust with flour,
knocking out excess flour.
- In a bowl soak apricots in boiling hot water to cover 5 minutes. Drain apricots
well and pat them dry with paper towels. Chop apricots fine.
- In another bowl lightly
whisk together eggs and transfer 1 teaspoon egg to a small bowl. Whisk water into
the 1 teaspoon egg and reserve egg wash.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer blend flour, sugar, baking soda, baking
powder and salt. Add remaining egg and vanilla extract and beat until a dough forms
(dough will be sticky). Stir in apricots and ginger.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 6 times. Working on baking sheet,
with floured hands form dough into a 6 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch rectangle. Brush rectangle
with some reserved egg wash and bake in middle of oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool rectangle
on baking sheet on a rack 10 minutes.
- Loosen rectangle from baking sheet with a
metal spatula and carefully transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut rectangle crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange biscotti, cut side
down, on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until pale golden.
biscotti to rack to cool.
Makes about 12 biscotti.
Biscotti keep in an airtight container at room temperature
3 days or frozen 1 month.
Each biscotti: 104 calories; 0.9 grams fat (8% of calories from fat)
Source: Gourmet - May 1996