Butterscotch-Heath Bar Biscotti
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butterscotch extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped Heath bars
- 1/2 cup whole
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the oil, granulated and brown sugars together until well
blended. Stir in vanilla extract and butterscotch extracts. Blend in eggs.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and then fold into batter. Fold in
candy bar pieces and pecans. Place batter on baking sheet (it will be thick and
a little sticky) and, wetting hands if necessary to ease the shaping, form batter
into two logs, each about 10 to 12 inches long, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake in preheated oven until set, about 25 minutes. Cool very thoroughly.
- Baker's Trick: For ultra-thin biscotti that are easily cut, after the first
baking, wrap each log of baked biscotti and freeze overnight.
- Next day, slice as
thin as you wish and bake the second requisite time to brown, as follows: Slice
in diagonal strips (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide) and return to baking sheet.
in preheated 350 degree F oven first on one side, about 12 minutes, then turn over
and bake other side about 5 minutes.
- Cool well.
Makes 36 to 48 biscotti.
Any brand of chocolate covered brickle
or toffee bar can be used. Coarse pieces work better than Heath Bar Chips, which
are too small.