- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing
- Whisk the eggs, egg whites and vanilla extract together and add to the dry ingredients,
mixing just until moist, using a hand mixer on medium speed. Add cranberries and
almonds and mix thoroughly. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide batter in
half. Pat each half into a log about 14 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place on
a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes or until firm.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Leaving the baked log on the cookie
sheet, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Turn the slices cut side up on the cookie
sheet and return to the oven; bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until firm and dry.
- Cool and keep in a tight container.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.
Each serving contains approximately 1 bread/ starch exch., 1/2 fat exch.;
85 calories, 15 gm. carbohydrate, 2 gm. protein, 2 gm. fat (including no sat. fat),
14 mg. cholesterol, 33 mg. sodium, 25 mg. calcium and 1 gm. dietary fiber
Source: Minneapolis Star and Tribune - 12/98