Blondies with Orange, Mint and Apricots
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup orange mint leaves, loosely packed
1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 extra
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- When melted,
add the brown sugar and stir. Cook over medium low heat, stirring, until the mixture
is thick and syrupy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the granulated sugar and stir until it's dissolved. Remove the pan from
the heat to cool.
- Thinly slice the apricots crosswise.
- Wash, dry and coarsely chop the orange mint;
there should be about 3 tablespoons.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and stir to blend. Sprinkle
1 tablespoon of the flour mixture over the apricots and toss to coat them lightly.
- Beat the eggs into the warm brown sugar and butter mixture (it should not be
hot) and blend thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pour the liquid
ingredients into the flour and stir until just blended.
- Add the apricots and mint
and stir until just mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in
the preheated oven for 35 minutes, until the top is a deep golden brown.
- Allow to
cool completely on a baking rack before cutting into bars.
Makes 32 bars.
Source: Kitchen Gardener - Aug/Sept 1999
Other Blondie and Brownie recipes you may like...
Black Walnut Blondies
Ooey Gooey Melty Mint Brownies
Flourless Chocolate Brownies
Candy Bar Brownies