Brown Butter Apple Pecan Blondies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13- inch baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, with sides hanging out, which will help get the blondies out after they are baked.
- Add the butter to a light-colored saucepan. Allow the butter to melt over medium-low heat. As the butter starts to melt, stir using a wire whisk or a spatula. The butter will start to bubble and get frothy. After about 3 minutes, the bubbling will stop. At this moment, stir again and brown butter will be ready. Remove it to a separate bowl and let it cool.
- In the same pan, add chopped apples. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir over medium-low heat. Allow the apples to soften for about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to a separate bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- To the dry ingredients, add brown butter, apples, brown sugar, egg and egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix everything well, until combined, using a silicone spatula.
- Mix in the pecans. The batter should be thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and cut it into squares using a serrated knife.
Photo credit: djwtwo on Visualhunt