Crazy Blonde Brownies
We add all manner of chips and nuts to these rich, moist, blonde brownies to
make an entirely different - and wonderful - confection.
- 1/2 cup butter or vegetable shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup King Arthur
100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All- Purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch,
cinnamon, caramel, macadamia, or chips of your choice
- 1 cup diced pecans or
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan and heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar, and stir until
the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour the butter-sugar mixture into a medium-size
bowl, and allow it to cool to lukewarm.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Whisk the flours and baking powder together, then add the dry ingredients to
the sugar mixture, stirring to combine.
- Finally, fold in the chips and nuts.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the pan, and bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes,
until they're light brown on the edges and top.
Yield: about 2 dozen 2-inch squares
Source: Recipe reprinted from King Arthur Flour 's The Baker's Catalogue,
Spring through Summer 2001