Grand Slam Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate milk
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 extra-large egg (at room temperature)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter sides of 9-inch square pan. Line pan with
foil, allowing foil to extend over the two sides. Butter and flour foil.
- Brownies: Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in small saucepan over very low heat (or
in microwave), stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Place coffee powder into large bowl; add water and stir to dissolve.
- Add eggs
and sugar. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until it is pale yellow.
- Fold in melted chocolate, then the dry ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until top is dry and cracked and wooden pick inserted in center
comes out with wet batter still attached, about 28 minutes (do not over-bake).
- Transfer to rack and gently press down any raised edges.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Topping: Melt semi-sweet chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water
(or in microwave), stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar in food processor until smooth.
- Add warm melted chocolate and blend well.
- Add egg and blend until just combined.
- Pour topping over hot brownie.
- Bake until topping moves just slightly in center when shaken, about
- Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Lift brownies from pan using foil sides. Cut into squares to serve.