- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk soured with lemon juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Chopped nutmeats (optional)
- Base: Boil water, cocoa and margarine until slightly thick.
- Mix sugar, eggs,
flour, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt with buttermilk or milk soured with
lemon juice. Add to cocoa mixture.
- Bake in jellyroll pan at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Cool.
- White Layer: Beat first six ingredients together for at least 5 minutes until
light and fluffy.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar or more and beat well.
- Spread on cooled brownie layer and refrigerate.
- Frosting: Boil sugar, margarine and milk for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips. Beat while cooling in ice water.
- Spread onto brownies and sprinkle nuts on top, if desired.