Toasted Coconut Wafers
Bake: 12 min | Yield: 60
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- Beat butter in stand mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar, extract, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping down the bowl.
- Beat in yolk until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as possible with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the 1 cup toasted coconut.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into an 8 inch long roll.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut on parchment sheet, pastry cloth or Silpat etc.
- Brush rolls with egg white and roll in coconut.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 2 to 24 hours, or until dough is firm.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife cut dough into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are browned.
- Cool on sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
These freeze well!