How to Make Marzipan Roses
The technique is simple. You start
with a small cone that you shape out of a piece of marzipan. Then you wrap
disks of marzipan around the cone to form petals. Thinning the edges of each
disk of marzipan gives a more realistic effect.
Whether you want dainty tea roses or giant blooms, the technique to make
the flowers stays the same. You just start with a larger piece of marzipan
and proportionately larger disks to use for the petals.
- Marzipan (available at local grocery or gourmet market - make sure marzipan is pliable before you buy
- Gel paste food coloring (color desired for roses)
- Green gel paste food coloring (for petals)
- Plastic gloves
- Tint the marzipan to desired shade then work the marzipan with your
hands until the color is evenly distributed and is warm to your touch.
It will develop a gloss as you work it.
- Break off small amount and roll it in your palm until round. Pinch
the end to make a point like a strawberry. Set on wax paper.
- Break off a slightly larger piece, about the size of a small marble.
Roll the piece in your hand until round, then begin flattening the ball
with your thumb. (the flatter you make it, the more realistic the rose,
especially the edges. If it tears, just put it back together.
- When it is flattened thin, pick up the strawberry-shape ball and
wrap the ball with the flat petal. It is best to only leave a little
of the point of the strawberry shaped ball showing to create the center
of the rose. Then roll the edge of your first petal like a rose that is
beginning to open.
- Repeat this procedure until your are pleased with the size. A few
petals creates a bud...more creates a full blown rose.
- To finish, flatten some green tinted marzipan and make a star shape
either with a knife or by pinching. Place the green star on the bottom
of the rose to simulate the base of the flower.
- Make the leaves out of the green marzipan by rolling and flattening
to a realistic shape. You may use a knife to simulate the veining and
serration of the leaves.
- Place the finished roses on cake or on cupcakes.