How to Roast, Toast and Grind Nuts
To Roast Hazelnuts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Remove the shells of the nuts if this has not already been done, and arrange the shelled nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast until the nuts begin to turn a golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread shelled nuts in a single layer in an ungreased pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, stirring and checking until they are done. They are toasted when lightly browned.
Bake almonds, pecans and walnuts for 7 to 12 minutes.
Bake pine nuts for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spread shelled almonds in an ungreased baking pan.
- Place in 350 degrees F oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until almonds are light brown, stirring once or twice to ensure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after removing from oven.
- Place 1/2 cup shelled nuts at a time in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process them in short pulses just until ground. If you grind them longer, you will end up with nut butter (which works well with peanuts).