How to Sun Dry Tomatoes
- Wash and stem tomatoes. Slice horizontally about 1/4-inch thick. If desired, salt on both sides, allow to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Lay tomatoes on mesh or foil-covered baking sheets. Cover lightly with cheesecloth.
- Place in the hot sun for several hours, turning occasionally, until desired dryness is achieved.
- Store in jars in a cool place.
- Make marinated sun-dried tomatoes by placing tomatoes in jars with olive oil, garlic and herbs; refrigerate immediately at 40 degrees F or below.
Be sure you sun-dry your tomatoes on a day when the humidity is low.