- 3/4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon
red liquid food coloring
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour baking powder and salt gradually add to creamed mixture and
mix well. Divide dough in half add extract and red food coloring to one portion.
- On a work surface, roll out each portion of dough between wax paper into a 16
x 10-inch rectangle. Remove wax paper. Place red rectangle over plain rectangle
roll up tightly jellyroll style starting with long side. Wrap in plastic wrap.
overnight or until firm.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on lightly
greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until set.
for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Yield: about 4 dozen