Yield: about 4 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour baking powder and salt gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half add extract and red food coloring to one portion.
- On a work surface, roll out each portion of dough between wax paper into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle. Remove wax paper. Place red rectangle over plain rectangle roll up tightly jellyroll style starting with long side. Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 14 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.