Raspberry Hazelnut Cream Cheese Gems
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts or filberts
- Raspberry jam
- In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, egg yolk, vanilla extract and lemon peel until well blended. Mix in confectioners' sugar, then flour to make a stiff dough.
- Refrigerate dough.
- Shape chilled dough into 30 small balls. Beat egg white until foamy. Dip balls into egg white, then roll in nuts. Place balls on lightly greased baking sheets. Press an indentation into the center of each ball; fill with a little raspberry jam.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown on the bottom.
- Let cool.
- Store in an airtight container.