Chicken, Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pasta Bake
Shredded chicken, bites of bacon and sweet caramelized onions in a creamy Gruyère sauce make this decidedly dialed-up version of mac and cheese a real winner.
The pasta mixture can also be baked in 8 x 4-inch loaf pan for 18 to 22 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese*
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2/3 cup Progresso™ plain panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
* Swiss cheese can be substituted for Gruyère in this recipe.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In 7-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package to al dente; drain.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Beat in milk, salt and pepper with whisk; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; beat in Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Add cooked pasta, chicken, bacon and browned onions; gently stir to combine. Transfer to same 7-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle over top of pasta mixture. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Yield: 2 servings
Nutrition Information: 1230 Calories, 62g Total Fat, 66g Protein, 100g Total Carbohydrate, 13g Sugars
Recipe and photo used with permission from: