Rum-Glazed Cornish Hens with Apple-Sourdough Stuffing
- 2 rock Cornish game hens
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 slices sourdough bread, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves separated
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Rinse and dry hens; place in roasting pan. Rub each with 1 tablespoon rum and
sprinkle with Creole seasoning to taste. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté apples, onion and garlic
until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in bread, wine, thyme, pepper and salt. Remove
pan from heat.
- Stuff the hens with bread mixture and place in the roasting pan. Cover with foil.
Bake hens 45 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more. They should be nice and
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 875 calories (56 percent from fat), 54 grams fat, 44 grams carbohydrates,
52 grams protein, 286 milligrams cholesterol, 870 milligrams sodium, 4 grams fiber
Source: Miami Herald - January 21, 2001