Skillet Coq au Vin
You've got the skills to create this Skillet Coq au Vin for two! It's a special, gourmet meal that's also a down-home and hearty dish. Coq au vin–chicken sautéed and then simmered in a rich red wine-and-mushroom sauce—is a classic that every cook can make.
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Muir Glen™ organic tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry red wine*
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32 ounce carton)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
* * A dry red wine like Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon works well in this recipe.
- In 10 inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to bowl.
- Add pearl onions to drippings in skillet; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to another bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place skin side down in skillet; cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion and mushrooms to skillet; cook and stirfor 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, tomato paste and thyme; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in red wine and broth; heat to boiling. Add the browned chicken and bacon, spooning some of the sauce over top of chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, turning chicken once halfway through, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (at least 165 degrees F).
- Stir browned pearl onions and butter into sauce; cook until heated through. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve.
Prep Time: 40 min | Total 60 min | Yield: 2 servings
Nutrition Information: 410 Calories, 22g Total Fat, 34g Protein, 14g Total Carbohydrate, 5g Sugars
Recipe and photo used with permission from: