Skillet Steak Dinner for Two
- 1 (3/4 pound) beef top sirloin steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook steak to desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135 degrees F; medium, 140 degrees F), 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender.
- Stir in wine; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in green onions (if using), Worcestershire sauce, mustard and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Cut steak in half; serve with mushroom mixture.
Yield: 2 servings