- 1 handful fresh spinach (stems removed) for each person,washed, drained well and dried
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons diced bacon
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 ounces wine vinegar
- 1 ounce brandy
- 2 teaspoons shredded hard-boiled egg whites
- Heat bacon grease in skillet. Add diced bacon and cook for several minutes.
- Add shallots and cook several more minutes. Then add mustard, sugar and
wine vinegar. Mix well and let mixture simmer until very hot.
- Add brandy and flame. Pour over spinach, inverting skillet over salad bowl
so that spinach is slightly steamed.
- Remove skillet and toss.
- Serve on warm platter garnished with shredded egg whites.
- Have a pepper grinder on the table.