- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consommé or 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Soak bread crumbs in milk or cream 5 minutes in large mixing bowl.
- Add ground meats, eggs, onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, allspice, nutmeg
- Mix well and refrigerate covered for 1 hour.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch diameter balls.
- Place on rack of broiler
pan and bake in 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Put browned meatballs
in slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 can of beef consommé, pepper and remaining
1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours. (HIGH
for 2 to 3 hours)
- To thicken gravy, turn slow cooker to HIGH.
- Combine butter and flour
to make a smooth paste.
- Add paste to remaining 1/2 can of consommé.
- Pour into meatball mixture.
- Cook until thickened.
Source: 1982 Rival Crock Pot Cookbook