Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen Chinese pea pods, partially thawed
- 1 (13 ounce) can juice-pack pineapple chunks or tidbits (drain and reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Fluffy rice
- Place pea pods and drained pineapple in slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan, stir together cornstarch and sugar.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in boiling water and add with juice, soy sauce and ginger
to saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, and cook sauce for about 1 minute or until
thickened and transparent. Gently blend sauce into pea pods and pineapple.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 4 to 6 hours.
- Before serving, add shrimp and vinegar, stirring carefully to avoid breaking
- Serve over hot rice.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings (about 1 1/2 quarts)
Source: Rival 1975 Cookbook