Coconut-Rum Meringues with
Red Raspberry Sauce
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
Red Raspberry Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed and crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup tart red jelly
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Meringues: Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in dry bowl until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar while beating on medium speed; then add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
and vinegar while beating on high until mixture is very shiny and forms stiff peaks.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets (11 x 17-inches) with heavy paper on which is drawn two circles
of 8-inches each (centered).
- Fill a pastry bag (large tip) with half of meringue
mixture. Start in the center of a circle and pipe a spiral to completely fill the
circle to the outer edge. (This forms the bottom layer.) Around outer edge pipe
a second then a third coil to form a 1 3/4-inch side wall.
- Refill bag and repeat second circle.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave meringues inside for 25 more minutes, then remove to
a cool place.
- Whip heavy cream with an electric beater until thickened.
- Slowly beat in rum and last 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Beat until stiff.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of coconut.
- Spread remaining 1/2 cup coconut on cookie sheet and broil 4-inches from
heat unit 2 or 3 minutes to reach toasty golden color.
- Carefully remove 1 meringue shell from paper, and gently peel away paper from
- Place shell on a round plate or platter.
- Fill center with 1/2 the whipped cream mixture.
- Carefully place second shell upside down over the first.
- Ice top and sides with remaining cream mixture.
- Sprinkle top and sides with toasted coconut.
- Garnish plate with seasonal flowers and serve with Red Raspberry Sauce.
- Red Raspberry Sauce: Combine berries and cornstarch; add jelly. Bring to a boil
quickly. Stir while cooking until juice clears and mixture thickens slightly. Strain and cool.
Other sauces such as peach, pineapple, cherry or hot fudge may be used
Whipped topping flavored as in recipe may be substituted for whipped cream.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.