Orange Pumpkins de Creme
You can cook the filled pumpkins and lids up to 1 day ahead. When they are cool,
cover airtight and chill.
- 8 (6 to 8 ounce) miniature pumpkins
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 5 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavor liqueur
teaspoon ground coriander
- Finely shredded orange peel
- Rinse pumpkins. Pierce each top deeply with a knife or fork several times.
pumpkins on a rack at least 1 inch above 1 1/2 inches of water in a 5- to 6-quart
pan. Cover and bring water to a boil over high heat. Keep boiling and steam pumpkins
until tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. If needed, add more boiling water.
- Let pumpkins cool until comfortable to touch, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a small, sharp knife, cut down and around each stem to make an opening about
2 inches wide. Lift out stem end and reserve. With a small spoon, scoop seeds from
pumpkins (without breaking through skin) and discard.
- In a bowl, whisk half-and-half, egg yolks, sugar, liqueur and coriander. Fill
pumpkins equally with egg mixture.
- Return filled pumpkins and lids to a rack at least 1 inch above 1 1/2 inches
of water in the pan.
- Drape foil over pumpkins to prevent condensation on the pan
lid from dripping into filling. Cover pan and bring water to a boil over high heat.
Keep water at a boil, and steam until filling looks set in center and jiggles only
slightly all over when gently shaken, 12 to 16 minutes.
- Gently transfer pumpkins to plates or a dish and set lids alongside if desired.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Garnish each pumpkin with shredded orange peel.