Red Raspberry Meringue
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon gelatin powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter whipped cream, for garnish
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat just until stiff.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Place meringue in pie plate, piling it up the sides and depressing it in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes without opening the door.
- Cool in oven with door slightly ajar.
- Prepare filling while meringue is baking.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the raspberries
and 1/4 cup of the sugar with the cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon juice in a
food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Scrape the mixture into a heavy saucepan and cook
until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from stove; add gelatin, butter and
the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Spread a thin layer of this glaze over the bottom of the meringue shell.
- Carefully stir 2 3/4 cups raspberries into the remaining glaze. Pour over first layer.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of raspberries.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Other Dessert Recipes