Red Raspberry Meringue
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon gelatin powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter whipped cream, for garnish
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat just until stiff.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Place meringue in pie plate, piling it up the sides and depressing it in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes without opening the door.
- Cool in oven with door slightly ajar.
- Prepare filling while meringue is baking.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the raspberries
and 1/4 cup of the sugar with the cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon juice in a
food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Scrape the mixture into a heavy saucepan and cook
until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from stove; add gelatin, butter and
the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Spread a thin layer of this glaze over the bottom of the meringue shell.
- Carefully stir 2 3/4 cups raspberries into the remaining glaze. Pour over first layer.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of raspberries.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.