Strawberry Macaroon Napoleans
Light, high and airy with a luscious Chantilly cream filling, these Strawberry
Macaroon Napoleons will please all coconut lovers.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- Coconut Macaroons: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 18 cupcake wells.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir together coconut and sugar.
- Stir in butter and then eggs, mixing until combined.
- Place 2 teaspoons of coconut mixture into each cupcake well. Using the back of
a spoon dipped in water, press coconut mixture into the well so it completely fills
- Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let macaroons cool in the pans.
- With a small sharp knife or offset spatula, loosen macaroons from the wells and
- Chantilly Cream: Whisk cream, sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks
form. The cream should hold its shape but still be satiny in appearance, not grainy.
- Gently toss strawberries with enough sugar to sweeten.
- Place 1 macaroon on each of six dessert plates. Cover each macaroon with 1/4
cup strawberries and 2 tablespoons Chantilly Cream.
- Repeat layering with a second macaroon, 1/4 cup strawberries and 2 tablespoons
- Top with a third macaroon.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 575 calories; 19 g fat; 102 mg cholesterol;
714 mg sodium; 71 g carbohydrate; 9 g fiber; 32 g protein
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): California Strawberry Commission