Tidbits for the Cardinal
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 cup sherry
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until very stiff.
- In a small bowl beat yolks until lemony; add sugar and continue beating.
- When stiff, add slowly, by tablespoonsful,
the cornstarch and cake flour.
- Carefully fold yolk mixture into beaten whites.
- Spoon into a well-buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven, slightly open door, and allow cake to cool in the oven.
- When cold, cut into 16 squares.
- Arrange in a serving bowl and slowly saturate with sherry.
- Pour hot Syrup over cake and refrigerate.
- Serve cold.
Syrup: Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.