Deep Fried Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Oil (for deep fat frying)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Using a 1/2 cup ice cream scoop, place 8 scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- In a bowl, combine whipping cream and vanilla extract
- In another bowl, combine coconut, cornflakes and cinnamon.
- Remove ice cream from freezer; wearing plastic gloves, shape ice cream into balls. Dip balls into whipping cream mixture, then roll in coconut mixture, making sure to coat entire surface.
Place coated balls on a baking sheet, cover and freeze for at least 3 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, make Caramel Sauce.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep fat fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Fry ice cream balls until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream, if desired, and Caramel Sauce.
- Heat sugar in heavy saucepan over medium heat until partially melted and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add butter.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 8 minutes, or until sauce is thick and golden; keep warm.