Ham and Cheese Quiche
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon chilled solid vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (16 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- To prepare pastry, in a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt. Using
a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut shortening into flour mixture until coarse
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough forms.
Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 10-inch
circle. Fit into a 9-inch quiche or pie pan. Trim edges.
- To prepare filling, in a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion;
cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese over crust. Top with
onion, then ham. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, half-and-half, cream, salt, cayenne and
nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over ham and cheese.
- Bake quiche until golden and custard is set, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / Azurita