Almond Pretzels (Mandelplaettchen)
Using the symbolism of the pretzels as a reminder to pray, this food can be integral
part of our Lenten diet and program. These pretzels are a sweet cookie dough. Surprise
the family with sweet pretzels on Sundays during Lent - great for Easter also!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 to 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cultured sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- Sugar and chopped almonds
- Beat butter till soft.
- Gradually add sugar; beat till light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, egg yolks and sour cream.
- Stir in sifted flour.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon and lemon rind.
- Chill dough for several hours.
- Shape dough into long thin rolls and make into pretzel shape.
- Place on greased tin.
- Brush with yolk of an egg.
- Sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes.
Source: St. Francis Xavier Church, 4715 N. Central, Phoenix, Arizona 85012
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.