This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Almond Pretzels (Mandelplaettchen)
Using the symbolism of the pretzels as a reminder to pray, this food can be integral
part of our Lenten diet and program. These pretzels are a sweet cookie dough. Surprise
the family with sweet pretzels on Sundays during Lent - great for Easter also!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 to 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cultured sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- Sugar and chopped almonds
- Beat butter till soft.
- Gradually add sugar; beat till light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, egg yolks and sour cream.
- Stir in sifted flour.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon and lemon rind.
- Chill dough for several hours.
- Shape dough into long thin rolls and make into pretzel shape.
- Place on greased tin.
- Brush with yolk of an egg.
- Sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes.
Source: St. Francis Xavier Church, 4715 N. Central, Phoenix, Arizona 85012