This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Gateaux de Paques (Easter Cookies)
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg yolk (for brushing - optional)
- Colored sugar or confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling - optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the orange rind and juice, lemon rind, cooled butter,
eggs and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until they are thoroughly
- Add the sugar and baking powder with 1 cup of the flour. Stir to combine,
then add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time until it is all incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly
onto the surface of the dough.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the dough is firm enough to roll into balls.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into small walnut-size balls and drop them 2 inches apart
on lightly greased baking sheets. Leave them round or shape them into crescents.
- If using colored sugar, brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar. Otherwise,
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are cooked through but
barely colored on top.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Dust the plain cookies with confectioners' sugar.
Yield: about 30