Jelly Bean Biscotti
- 1 (13 ounce) bag jelly beans (can be more or less according to taste)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar (can be more or less or left out completely)
- Parchment paper (optional, but makes it much easier to remove cookies and clean up is easy)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl or electric mixer bowl - add the butter and sugar and cream
them together on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add 1 egg and beat to incorporate, add second egg and incorporate then add
third egg and incorporate. (4th egg is used later)
- Beat in the vanilla extract, then add the baking powder, salt and flour,
beating on low speed until fully incorporated - you do not want to mix too long.
Notice that the dough is very soft and sticky.
- Using a spatula, scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface.
- Put flour on your hands and sprinkle flour on top of the dough. Then cut
the dough in half... I use my hand like a karate chop down the center.
- Next take one half and roll lightly back and forth making a rope - pick
it up and place it on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Don't be worried
if the dough is so soft it bends when you pick it up. Once you place it on the
parchment paper you can shape it a little more.
- Do the same with the second half.
- Flatten them out on top a little with your palm.
- Beat one egg in a bowl and using a brush - brush them all over to coat them
evenly. Sprinkle with sanding sugar (optional).
- Place in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until they are slightly
- When done - remove them from the oven. Let them cool for about 10-20 minutes
or until they are cool enough for you to handle.
- Place them on a bread board and slice them crosswise on the diagonal into
about 3/4 inch slices.
- Put them back on the cookie sheet (inside up) and bake for another 10-12
minutes until the edges are turning slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.