- 1 cup whole pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Zip-type bag or other secure bag
- 3 egg whites
- Wooden spoon
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Put pecans in baggie and let children beat them with wooden spoon. Explain
that after Christ was arrested, He was beaten. Read John 19:1-3.
- Let children smell the vinegar. Put vinegar in mixing bowl. Explain that
Jesus was thirsty on the cross and was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30.
- Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave
His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11.
- Sprinkle a little salt in each child's hand, let children taste the
salt and then put a pinch in the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty
tears shed by Jesus' followers and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27.
- Now, add 1 cup of sugar and explain that the sweetest part of the story
is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to seek Him - pray to Him
and praise Him (in song and in prayer). Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16.
- Beat with mixer on high speed for about 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks
are formed. Explain the color white represents the purity in God's eyes
of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3.
- Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper-covered cookie sheet.
Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid. Read Matthew 27:57-60.
- Put cookie sheet in oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF.
- Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus'
tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27:65-66.
- Go to bed. Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven
overnight. Jesus' friends were so sad when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20 and 22.
- On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the
cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow. On the first Easter Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb
open and empty. Read Matthew 28:1-10.
- HE HAS RISEN!
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.