Candied Orange-Filled Pastries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- Pastries: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together
the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Reduce the mixer
speed to low and gradually beat in the flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Shape the dough into a flat square, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the
refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Filling: In a small bowl, mix together the almond
paste and butter. Stir in the orange peel, egg and flour.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-inch square, then cut
into thirty-six 2 1/2-inch squares. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of filling onto each
square. Roll up; pinch seams and edges to seal.
- Place pastries, seam-side down, on the prepared baking sheets, spacing 2
inches apart. Bake until firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets
to a wire rack to cool.
- Topping: In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar
and water until smooth. Drizzle over pastries. Sprinkle with the orange peel.
Yield: 3 dozen
Source: Great American Home Baking
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.